Saturday, August 15, 2009

Papaya

I dropped a papaya
off the roof
to watch it smash on the ground.

Then I took lots of close-up pictures of the carcass
Why?

The car accident was an act of destruction
in which I feel I was forced to participate
I was not the author of those moments,
nor an arbiter of the physics
mass
velocity
vector force of metal on flesh
I was not acting deliberately or willfully in any way
I can't even remember what happened

It has left me
unmoored,
demolished,
furious.
It has turned my skin inside out.

I DECIDED to drop the papaya,
I carried it up the stairs,
I opened the door,
I held it out over empty space, and
I dropped it.

CRASH

I documented it myself
the pulp oozing out of the rind
the juice flowing into the grass
no police or coroners necessary.

And I cleaned it up.

Finished.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What an incredibly difficult journey you are on and how elegantly you put words around the unspeakable. Thank you for your courage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the crazy thing is, life is really complicated. complicated and confusing, and even though "they" say all things happen for a reason, no one ever qualifies that with a "good" reason...some things will never make sense. but. there is still life and hope and love and plenty of battles to be fought that need your energy, creativity and soulful input. that is also your impact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that you are doing ok... Jenny (artconstellation AT gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete