Friday, October 22, 2010

my skin is thinner now...


My skin is thinner now
thinner than before the accident
it always feels even
thinner when my brain chemistry is fucked

Although I know my epidermis is literally intact
the sensation of vulnerability is keenly physical

Semi-permanent sunburn
the kind that's
so bad you
wince
and want to scream when someone brushes
by you in the supermarket

I painted this line on my arm after yet another
minor decompensation
in which I failed to tolerate an everyday frustration

The UN had declared a Mental Health Awareness Week
And it was national Coming Out Day so
it made sense to wear my condition on my sleeve, so to speak

Kind of a disclaimer, like the warnings that come attached to the bottles of pills warning you
of drowsiness
against consuming alcohol
advising caution when
 operating heavy machinery.

Do they consider automobiles part of heavy machinery?

1 comment:

  1. They should. You are brave. I made a t-short that says 'Ask me about my mental illness", in over 3 years only one person has. Fear abounds I guess.

    ReplyDelete