Tuesday, March 1, 2011

on being water - more of Palmer Fishman's nature metaphors

I've never had an easy time meditating.
or sitting still
the two together have been disastrous

once I was with a good friend
 watching water falling off some rocks and into a river.
When I concentrated, I became The Waterfall, Itself -
that particular space through which the water was falling.

The Waterfall, Itself isn't any particular molecule of water, or bubble, or twig
No, it's the water-filled path between the edge
and the pool below
So the water molecules or bubbles that I could follow with my eyes are like my thoughts -
 just falling through -
and similar in their ability to distract me from
 my integrity, my wholeness, from the Waterfall, itself.

More recently I have been trying meditation anew
my therapist sometimes talks about 'surfing' various emotions.
I was walking my dog along a beach favored by surfers, and I saw them sometimes catch a wave, take a ride, and sometimes just get pounded.
Either way they always ended the ride sinking back into the water.

I thought I'd rather think of myself as the ocean itself than as the surfer -
whatever storm would, like the twigs in the waterfall, just be passing through, and even
during the fiercest storms some other part of me would be calm.

That is what I need right now, the presence of mind to keep some part of me whole and calm,
even when other parts
of me are getting rocked by a hurricane.
Whatever wave is an energy passing through me,
 but it is not me,
as I'm trying to learn
 even when I have thoughts of ending my life, these are only thoughts,
they are not me, and certainly
not all of me.
They are a fierce turbulence that will pass.

6 comments:

  1. beautiful. thank you for making this incredible place even more amazing. "that's amazing!" said alice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tao Te Ching said of goodness:

    "The highest goodness is like water. Water benefits all things and does not compete. It stays in the lowly places which others despise. Therefore it is near the eternal."

    You are an ocean. We are all more water than anything else.

    Your writing is so beautiful and stirring, thank you for this. Take care
    Kel

    ReplyDelete
  3. this makes me want to be walking by the shore with you. my meditation teacher used to always say to be the ocean so you can realize how small the waves actually are. your wisdom shines through in your poetry. xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for writing this. You are right- the feelings will pass. You just have to let them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All that is fluid flows around us, through us, to and away from us ... There *is* that limpid, serene core of being in all of us, its threshold always open ...

    Beautiful thoughts ... Thank you xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Jaliya - I'm going to keep your 'serene core' phrase in mind...

    ReplyDelete