Wednesday, July 29, 2009


The cop who took my garland came back later.

“These tragedies happen all the time in Nicaragua
It was an accident,
You shouldn’t feel so terrible
It wasn’t your intention to hurt anyone
Even tho they are still going to try to lock you up for several years.
Do you want to read my Bible?
Is Jesus your Savior?

Look, thank you for trying to help, I appreciate your kind words.
I’m Jewish, and sort of Buddhist, but not really religious,
and I’m too distraught right now to contemplate any evangelical attempts.
They kind of make me feel ambushed
But thank you for your support.

(recycled throne by Otto Castillo)

1 comment:

  1. I’m Jewish, and sort of Buddhist, but not really religious

    -- that's my description! though i've not had the pleasure of giving it to a cop in a jail cell in Nicaragua so, slightly different, i admit ;)

    sorry, pain and absurd post-traumatic conversations push my sarcasm button.

    on the Buddhist part, i was reminded of a story about a monk who said he was grateful he'd never been in the situation he'd had to kill someone. i'm grateful, too. intensely grateful as i read your blog. of course i don't really believe that your pain is separate to mine.

    it's not just that i can relate to the trauma aspects, though some of your descriptions are so spot-on it's scary. but that i don't believe trauma sits in isolation. it only seems that way so the world can go. that's a necessity but that doesn't make it real.

    i won't inflict any philosophy on you. suffice to say i feel privileged to be a witness to this story and humbled because it could so easily have been me in the driver's seat. it takes my breath away but then its been one of those days.

    ReplyDelete