Tuesday, November 16, 2010

dance fever

I used to dance a lot.  I used to teach b-girl basics.  I lost interest in pretty dance and became intrigued with uncomfortable movements.  I moved to Nicaragua.  Now I'm in Spain, where I've been watching amazing videos by yak films and their Oakland-based dance form, Turfin.  The dance is beautiful, strong and graceful, and the film-making is refreshingly artistic and non-commercial.

 They made me want to dance again.

I wanted to show the funny conglomeration of the different movement languages that combine in my moving body:  b-girl, hip hop, modern, and my own special brand of deliberate awkwardness.  Having technical problems related to the music I laid over the movement, so here's a low-fi version just to give you a giggle:



Outside the US you can still see a better-quality version from YouTube (I hope):

3 comments:

  1. Drat! I can't view the video because of an error. It says it is blocked in my country due to copyright stuff. yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry. I wanted to use some fun music from Tijuana, but apparently iTunes is blocking it in the US. I posted a lower-quality version that gives a blurry, low-res hint of my spastic joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. I love that you are dancing, that you recorded it and that you posted it here. I love it. And me made me want to dance. And I love that too. You are fantastic. Fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete