Friday, November 5, 2010

Sleep!! Sleep??

During my years of depression I've had a love/hate affair with sleep.
The luxuriant joy of
sinking
into pillows and comforters after
fighting all day to stay present
The stale stench of having not just
overslept, but

having remained cowering in bed,
crumpled under the sheets for
days without
talking to another human being let alone
eating
Getting up to use the bathroom was a major feat of
  courage, on the Lord of the Rings scale


And yet now
with abilify and prozac pumping
me up
sleep has become not only
undesirable but
unnattainable


I haven't slept through a night since I started to feel human again
this worries me, and my
psychiatrist
not sleeping is a symptom of mania
not sleeping can cause mania

but my legs are jiggling
hands are rubbing together
compulsively
I jump around and sing and shout just to
let off steam, as it were

Is it like the fairy-tale of the little mermaid?
not the Disney version, but the one I remember from childhood, where she
gets to be with her prince, but only by
suffering stabbing pain with every
step on her human feet?


Is this the price for wanting to be alive each day?
or is it just that the meds aren't well-adjusted
yet?

Waking up at 4 AM
incredibly sleepy in the head and chest
but
a vibrating live wire from the stomach
down seems like some kind of torture at Abu Graib
You know your brain craves sleep, but your
body won't calm down.
body wants to play ball.
literally

I can't believe some people take these drugs for funsies

No comments:

Post a Comment